Rules & Regulations
1. Respect For People
a) Engaging in physical and/or verbal actions towards any resident or staff, which may endanger the safety of, be considered intimidating, be considered physically abusive by another, and/or negatively affect the well-being of any individuals; Including but not limited to
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, or any discriminatory behaviour;
- Inappropriate and/or unwanted sexual conduct, or behaving in a manner that could constitute sexual harassment;
- Behaviours which are considered to be harming to one’s self or that endanger one’s own personal safety;
- Unreasonable social disturbances such as:
i. Using sub-woofers, powerful speakers or amplifiers
ii. Hosting a party in residence; a party includes any combination of 2 of the following 3 criteria: 8 or more individuals in one room, the presence of alcohol, noise
iii. Engaging in acts of indecent exposure (including exhibitionism, appearing naked in public areas, etc).
b) Recording individuals in any format without their knowledge is strictly prohibited, even within one’s private personal space. Residents may not make recordings of or conduct surveillance on University employees, including Residence staff, without their permission.
c) Engaging in any activity which causes excessive noise at any time of the day including quiet hours, which run everyday from 10:00pm-9:00am.
2. Respect For Property
a) Engaging in activities which may damage, disrupt, blemish or vandalize Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre; Including but not limited to:
- Opening or attempting to open a balcony door or being on a balcony or the 3rd floor patio;
- Throwing articles from residence windows, roof balconies, or patio;
- Tampering with the building, including but not limited to the wiring and fire prevention systems, elevators, or emergency telephones and defacing, painting or affixing anything to the building,
- Causing damage to, or stealing residence property or property of other individuals;
- Attempting to enter or being in a restricted area within the residence building including, but not limited to: the roof, office space, conference spaces, kitchens, etc.
- Using unmanned aerial vehicles or drones on or near residence property, as their video and photography features intrude on the privacy of others.
- Removing and/or misusing any Chestnut common space, appliances, furniture, fixtures, cafeteria dishes, and/or property from its assigned area;
- Keeping pets of any description or type in residence;
- Roller-blading and bicycling are not permitted in the hallways, nor are ball, frisbee and other missile games allowed on the premises. Bicycles must be located in the bicycle room on the concourse level;
- Failure to maintain one’s own room in a hygienic and safe state during their stay, including the failure to dispose of all garbage or recycling in an appropriate manner;
- Using a residence room, mailbox or Common Area for any commercial or business purpose.
3. Fire Safety
a) Actions which violate the Fire Safety rules of Chestnut Residence & Conference Center; including but not limited to:
- Cooking with electric frying pans, toasters, ovens, microwaves, coffee makers, etc. within individual residence rooms; using halogen lamps or humidifiers; using heating elements (electrical or otherwise);
- Tampering with, operating or discharging any fire safety equipment for any purpose other than to signal or control a fire including but not limited to covering or disabling a smoke detector, pulling a fire alarm, etc;
- Overloading any electrical circuits;
- Setting fires inside the residence building, including setting off firecrackers;
- Failing to follow fire emergency procedures during a fire alarm, including, but not limited to, the failure to evacuate the residence building during a fire alarm;
- Smoking in residence; this includes but is not limited to smoking cigarettes, hookahs, vaporizers and e-cigarettes;
- Possessing, storing or using any firearm, weapon or explosive and/or pyrotechnic substances in the residence building;
a) Possession of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited. Evidence in these cases may include drug traces, drug paraphernalia, and/or the smell of prohibited substances in Residence
a) Consumption and/or service of alcohol is prohibited to individuals under the age of 19;
b) Carrying an open container of alcohol outside of a residence room, including in an elevator and under the Chestnut canopy, is probhibited
c) Participating in acts of over consumption, such as the use of kegs in Residence and drinking games of any kind, is prohibited.d) the use of kegs within residence.
a) Participating in and/or running an illegal gaming or gambling operation is prohibited.
a. Further actions, including but not limited to, are considered violations of the Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre Rules;
- Violating any terms, conditions, administrative policies and procedures as outlined in the Occupancy Agreement;
- Failing to take reasonable steps to prevent a problem situation from occurring or, if it occurs, to prevent it from escalating to a more serious level;
- Impeding any Chestnut Residence Staff member in the performance of their duties in relation to any possible offence. These include but are not limited to:
I. not providing proper identification of oneself or one’s guest to the Residence Staff / Security upon request,
II. failure to identify oneself to Security, or report a room lockout (ie. Sneaking into the residence building),
III. Knowingly withholding information, or providing false or incomplete information to the Residence Staff,
IV. being uncooperative with a Residence Staff member, including fleeing from a situation and/or refusing to speak to them when requested,
V. impeding the investigation of a possible offence,
VI. failing to report any damage witnessed by a resident to Residence Staff
- Fraudulently gaining or attempting to gain entry into a controlled access space within the residence building including but not limited to the Dining Hall, Urban Lounge, the Community Centre, the patio, conference levels
- Loaning, duplicating or giving anyone an access card;
- The use and/or possession of firearms, knives, ammunition, items intended to resemble firearms, simulated weapons, fireworks or other explosive/flammable devices and any other weapon or item that is created/intended/used to cause harm or could be seen as intimidating are strictly prohibited. Air pellet guns and paintball guns are prohibited by this standard. Residents who may require special equipment (e.g., fencing sword) for a class or extra-curricular activity must seek and receive prior written permission from the Residence Life Office to be able to store their equipment in residence.